Monday, July 10, 2006

Memory Lane is a Street on the Internet

Varanasi: I kept saying, "What the hell was that"? The crowds on the ghats and in the water, the colors and smell and the sound; nobody else in the boat would see them. They'd make a beautiful gentle curl out of the water, like the dolphins at Knossos, but they'd be gone so quick I'd only see them out of the corner of my eye; an imprint of a long-nosed water-ghost would be left on half my retina. Years later I was jawdropped, watching the Discovery channel or somthing: I'd been seeing Ganges River Dolphins. Unbelievable.

Damn. Gotta go to work. I've also gotta go through the old photo albums, see what I can find. Here's a Gosainkund extra. I got altitude sickness, decided to lie down in the snow, take off my socks and warm my feet for a while. Godamighty, I don't know how I made it down. When I did the two nice young girls who were the only inhabitants of the chesse-factory town made me omelets, with mushrooms they'd picked "in the jungle."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mushrooms in the jungle?!

LT said...

Heagh. They didn't speak much English--actuallly nearly none. When they proudly showed me the omelet they had made me, she said she had gotten the mushrooms, pointing to the above tree-line barrenness of the wilderness at 10,000 feet plus, "in the jungle." It was very funny and sweet.