1. The Chernobyl disaster took place in the Ukraine, in what was then the USSR. The Fukushima disaster is taking place in Japan, a much more densely populated country than the Ukraine.
2. The Fukushima plant's reactors have containment units, Chernobyl's didn't. (If containment units at Fukushima fail, please see "Five Ways Fukushima is Not Chernobyl.")
3. There wasn't a major catastrophe already happening in the region around Chernobyl.
4. Fukushima is on an ocean. Chernobyl wasn't.
5. Everybody already knew long before the Chernobyl accident that the people running the plant there dangerously skirted safety rules.
6. Fukushima starts with "F." Chernobyl starts with "C." Other words that start with "F" include fucked, fuuu-huuuu-ck!, FAIL, and four-year-olds.