Friday, April 21, 2006

Neil Young's Blog

Neil

Look at that title. Neil Young's got a blog. Too fucking fun. I can't tell you how much natural affection and respect I have for Neil Young as an artist and a human being. Honestly. From the time I was 12 in the basement of Mark Thomson's house with 12-packs and the album Harvest over and over and over and over...to learning the guitar when I was 17 or 18 and Needle and the Damage Done and Comes a Time...to seeing him at Buffalo Memorial Auditorium all by himself and turning some tens of thousands into his friends sitting around a living room (Do you want me to play this new shiny keyboard or this beat up old piano I brought with me?...) It just never went away, my love for the gentleness and strength and grace and grit and straight-ahead just say it beauy of the songs and, it has always seemed, his personal attitude. All done with a smile.

Hat's off to Neil Young.

Here's a link to the lyrics of the unreleased Living With War.

2 comments:

The Stiltwalker said...

I have liked Neil Young since I first can remember hearing him. But always just 'a weird, really not sure I need to be liking him' type like.

LT said...

Yup, he's a weird cat. Lots of reasons to like him: didn't do what he was "supoosed" to do; he seems like an example of a regular person making it with regular language and a simple human approach to art. I really like that.