Friday, March 30, 2007

No sports in Greece for Two Weeks

Bizarre:

Greek authorities have cancelled all team sports matches for two weeks after a mass brawl between rival women's volleyball fans left one man dead.


A volleyball match. Crikey.

On a related-only-in-my-mind note, I was in Greece for several months in the 80s and at one point required medical treatment of, uh, a delicate nature. It turned out to be bad timing to have a medical problem of any nature in Greece...since all the doctors in the country were ON STRIKE.

Doctors. On strike. That was a new one to me.

I had to go to a Red Cross unit, where patients were being treated in a large room with beds divided by curtains. I was, uh, opened, with a small scalpel, not deeply, after a spray-on anesthetic had been applied. And the table of surgical tools resting on my back. They ended up on the floor, and they had to pry my fingers from the doctor's - if that's what he was - neck. I'm probably exxaggerating about that, but I remember a bit of a commotion, at least.

Greece. I miss the place.

2 comments:

Tom Hilton said...

Ouch.

I was in Greece in 1988, and the museum workers were on strike. Not as urgent as your problem, I'm sure, but still...

LT said...

No, not as urgent. But dang, it was strike merry-go-round, wans't it? Good for them.