Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Jonah Goldberg: Obama is the Anti-Christ

Not really, he just posts an email from one of his fans, without comment: 


Jonah,

Now this is a phrase I don't use in general public, but Obama's talk of making a "new creation" and his treatment by Oprah as "the one" would qualify him as an anti-Christ, at least if you use a translation of anti- from the Greek to mean "as if" or "in place of," "substitute." This is the translation a number of Eastern Orthodox priests use (I'm EO) when they refer to certain pursuits in life as "anti-Christic." Just to be clear, I certainly don't think Obama is the Devil.

I can't stand seeing Christianity used on the political stump, and Mike Huckabee bothers me almost as much as Obama (perhaps more, I don't know him well enough). That said, no Christian who understands anything about his faith would ever suggest that any of us men can make a "new creation" the way Obama did in one speech (I can't remember the exact words, but he clearly borrowed his language from the New Testament).

I would just say there's a huge difference between believing that God sent you to be his President (Pat Robertson, maybe Huckabee), or using Christian language to promote yourself as a kind of Christ (Obama), and a President who is also a Christian (Bush or Reagan). If Bush has put thing in the terms you describe (I don't know), then you are certainly right about a line being crossed. But its one thing to say it's America's role versus saying its America's Christian responsibility, which would be way off base.


The writer has learned Jonah's escape hatch technique well: "Obama's talk of making a 'new creation' and his treatment by Oprah as 'the one' would qualify him as an anti-Christ." And: "Just to be clear, I certainly don't think Obama is the Devil." Uh huh.

And Jonah doesn't think liberals are fascists, he just wrote a book titledLiberal Fascism.

Digg!

No comments: